The course is taught in five 3-hour classes. Pregnant women attend the classes with the support person of their choice—husband, life partner, other family member, doula, labor companion, etc. The course offers the following benefits:
- Empowers parents with techniques to achieve a gentler, calmer birth
- Teaches deep levels of relaxation to eliminate the fear that causes tension and pain
- Greatly reduces and often eliminates the need for chemical painkillers and drugs
- Helps keep oxygen supplied to baby during birthing
- Reduces and often eliminates fatigue during labor, leaving the mother alert, fresh, and with energy to bond with her baby following the birth
- Gives the birthing companion an integral role in the birthing
- Embraces the concept of pre-birth parenting
- Teaches breathing techniques that allow a woman to gently breathe her baby into the world without the violence of hard, physical pushing
Research published in the Journal of Prenatal and Perinatal Psychology and Health shows that HypnoBirthing® mothers experienced: fewer medical inductions; less use of IV fluids; less continuous fetal monitoring; less Pitocin infusion; fewer artificial rupture of membranes; fewer IV/IM anesthesias; fewer episiotomies; fewer epidural anesthesias; fewer Caesarian sections; and use of a wider variety of birthing positions than mothers who did not use HypnoBirthing®.
The cost of the course includes: 15 hours of class time; a textbook (which includes an audio CD featuring relaxation and birth rehearsal imagery tracks); many handouts; and the Rainbow Relaxation CD to practice with at home.